I tried to do a top 10 reasons why James likes Aikido, but my usually hyper-verbal child clammed up. The first time I asked him all James could do was look at me with wide eyes and nod.
With a little prodding I was able to get the following. James
likes loves Aikido because:
- He gets to do moves like Bruce Lee. But Bruce Lee died which is sad right?
- An old man with the long beard invented it.
- Because Bruce Lee might have done Aikido before Kung Fu?
And…..that’s all folks.
As a parent, I like Aikido because:
- The instructor focusses on good behavior; paying attention, patience, kindness, teamwork, and all that good stuff that can be tough for five-year-olds.
- All the skills support developing balance, coordination and endurance. James needs all of that.
- Every class involves discussions about handling real world personal safety situations and the kids have to practice saying no or stop. We didn’t realize how intimidating that could be when we tried practicing with James.
- Children are taught to cope effectively with conflict using self-defense techniques that are effective without being hurtful. Subduing an opponent during recess without inflicting injury is way better than knocking all their teeth out. We don’t want James to get in trouble for defending himself.
After Tuesdays’ class James asked to practice breaking basic holds which he couldn’t do previously without dissolving into hysterical fits of embarrassed giggling. Progress right?
Not that we’ve been injury free. James jammed a really sharp toenail into the palm of my hand practicing kicks. I did get a hug, a kiss and a very respectful apology.